The official Kent County publication for the new districts is at https://www.accesskent.com/pdfs/apportionment/VerHeulen-DetailedStreetView.pdf
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics from San Jose University and a Master’s Degree in Business Management from Aquinas College
• Resident of Grand Rapids for over 30 years
• Retired from the Grand Rapids Public School District in the financial and student records computer systems department
• Parishioner of Burton Baptist Church, where she teaches children’s church
• Volunteer for Voice of Animals Rescue, the Gilda’s Club Laughfest, Meijer Gardens, and the Native American Education Program
I am often asked what does a commissioner do… here is the answer:
• Approving a mission statement for the County
• Adopting the Annual County Budget. This includes approving the annual budgets of other, independently elected, County officials: the County Clerk, the Drain Commissioner, Judges of the 17th Circuit Court and 64rd District Court, the Prosecutor, and the Treasurer
• Raising the money to fund the County’s operations by levying property taxes, setting fees, selling bonds or borrowing
• Appointing County residents to serve on various County boards, commissions and committees, which provide oversight for significant County services. These include the Gerald R. Ford International Airport Authority Board, the Community Health Advisory Committee, the Community Mental Health Authority Board (Network180), the Road Commission, and the Veterans Services Committee
Selecting a County Administrator/Controller to supervise the day-to-day operations of County departments.
Determining the sites of County buildings, and purchasing or disposing of County-owned property and facilities
Representing the County, and managing its property and business by adopting rules, regulations, ordinances and policies
Would you be willing to display a FREE yard sign? Have questions or feedback? Want to get involved with the campaign? Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch soon!